SHOE CARE TIPS
Leather shoes will afford more comfort and loger wear if they are cared for properly.
Johnston & Murphy's craftsmen offer the following tips for keeping leather shoes looking and wearing their best:
- Always store leather shoes with moisture-absorbing cedar shoe trees, to prevent leather cracking and permanent creasing where the toe bends.
- Always use a shoe horn when putting on shoes to prevent the back of the shoe from breaking down. Never force feet into the shoes.
- Always keep shoes away from direct heat to prevent the leather from drying out. Leather should always dry naturally.
- Give shoes a rest between wearings. Leather shoes should have one full day to dry out from natural foot perspiration and should not be worn on two consecutive days.
- When polishing shoes, use only a high quality paste or cream that will help moisturize leather and keep it from drying out. Never use a liquid polish on leather shoes.
- Never use any type of cleaner that contains an acid or a detergent. Both are damaging to fine leather, and will age the shoe.
- If shoes become heavily soiled, use a mild application of Ivory soap on a damp cloth, wipe off, and allow to dry. Then apply Johnston & Murphy shoe cream. This treatment should restore the original lustre without any damaging effects to the leather.
JOHNSTON & MURPHY SHOE CARE
This shoe care kit contains most everything you need to ensure that your investment lasts as long as possible.
Johnston & Murphy offers a wide array of cleaning and shoe care products.
For more information about care for specific types of leather, see our Comprehensive Guide to Leathers.