SHOE CARE TIPS
Leather shoes will afford more comfort and longer wear if they are cared for properly. Johnston & Murphy's Craftsmen offer the following tips for keeping leather shoes looking and wearing their best:
JOHNSTON & MURPHY SHOE CARE KIT
- Always store leather shoes with moisture-absorbing cedar shoe trees, to prevent leather cracking and permanent creasing where the toe bends.
- Always use a shoe horn when putting on shoes to prevent the back of the shoe from breaking down. Never force feet into the shoes.
- Always keep shoes away from direct heat to prevent the leather from drying out. Leather should always dry naturally.
- Give shoes a rest between wearings. Leather shoes should have one full day to dry out from natural foot perspiration and should not be worn on two consecutive days.
- When polishing shoes, use only a high quality paste or cream that will help moisturize leather and keep it from drying out. Never use a liquid polish on leather shoes.
- Never use any type of cleaner that contains an acid or a detergent. Both are damaging to fine leather, and will age the shoe.
- If shoes become heavily soiled, use a mild application of Ivory soap on a damp cloth, wipe off, and allow to dry. Then apply Johnston & Murphy shoe cream. This treatment should restore the original lustre without any damaging effects to the leather.
This shoe care kit contains most everything you need to ensure that your investment lasts as long as possible. Click here to learn more
Johnston & Murphy offers a wide array of cleaning and shoe care products which can be found here or at any of our retail locations.
You may also be interested in our Comprehensive Guide to Leathers.